US2U Consulting have been conducting research into the trends and factors that are disrupting workplaces and changing organisational behaviour.
This is part of the company's strategy of continuously scanning the wider environment in which we and our clients operate. This has included various sources of readings, attending seminars and conferences, overseas travel and applying our own intuition when making recommendations.
With so much change occurring in society and the economy at the minute, staying up to date with trends and opportunities is more important than ever. Some of the key topics we have identified so far include:
• The desire for the 'immediacy' of HR as part of the 'on-demand' economy - 2-year lag times to train and develop new recruits are no longer viable
• Demographic change, including the over 65 proportion of the workforce that are remaining economically active in later life
• How to effectively utilise zero-hour contracts so both employers and employees can share the benefits of the 'gig' economy
• The need to rethink how we manage workload pressures in this increasingly 'switched on' world of work
• How to prepare for the effects of artificial intelligence and automation on jobs, including the unusual revelation that middle-skilled roles are most likely to be affected